A Rebel With A Cause

The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.  It's true.  And if you don't believe me, then sit back and read this guest post from none other than my mother!  Remember when I said I knew someone who led a protest?  Well, here she is...in her own words. 

Typical American Teens (taken from my mother's year book)

                            WHEN IT IS TIME FOR A CHANGE

We were not our parents.  It was time for a change.  That is when my friends and I decided it was time for a revolt.  We did not want to wear dresses to school.  We wanted to wear pants and tops.  Not skirts and blouses.  So we put together a plan.  We would have as many of the junior class as possible come to school dressed different.  The girls in pants and T-shirts or what would become sweat shirts.  The guys jeans and sweats or T’s.

I am not sure how we managed this.  There were no cell phones, computers or any electronic way to pass the word.  I guess land phones may have been used.  It would have been mostly word of mouth and notes,

It was set for a Tuesday, why would I remember that? As I entered the school I am sure I was hoping my classmates were dressed like me. They were.  It was a big success.  More than 50% would be my guess, of the class came dressed OUR way that day.  We did go a little extreme…grungy or “beatnik”  Like Maynard G. Krebs, on Dobie Gilles. 


Did we get in trouble?  Yes. We were all sent to the gym for a lecture and were told to go home and change.  Yeah right! Like I was going to walk 12 miles so I could put on a dress.  Some kids went home.  Not me.  I was proud of my challenge to the authority figures in front of me.  Was it worth it?  Yes.  Was it the beginning of a change in what could be worn to school?  We like to think so. 

So what did you do when it was time for a change?
Now show my mom some bloggy love!  Special thanks to Emmy for planting the seed for this post.

Comments

Linda Medrano said…
What a cool story! How fun to be a young rebel with a cause!
mormonhermitmom said…
Ha! Excellent. Wearing a dress to school is the WORST thing I could think of!

But then my daughter keeps asking if she can. Sigh.
Emmy said…
That is seriously so awesome! I am afraid I would have been the other 50%, I would have been too chicken at that age.
And thanks for the shout out :)

By the way are you going to do the facebook status meme? Might have to start preparing :)
Nicole said…
AWESOME!! Your Mom is awesome!!! I love that she stood up for what she believed in no matter the consequences and protested. How cool! You must be so proud of her!
CB said…
That is really great! I thank your mom that I didn't have to wear dresses when I went to High School - that would have stunk. I mean how uncomfortable! It is a really good thing to stand up for what you believe in.
I grew up in California also and I was in Jr. High School when Prop 13 was being voted on. The kids at our school, including Moi, did a walk out to protest the Prop. - It passes anyway and schools have paid for it every since.
Tracie said…
What a cool mom you have?

I wrote a scathing letter to the editor of our hometown paper (in Podunk, WV) becaues the Ku Klux Klan was planning a march through town. I should have been picketing and protesting but the letter was as brave as I got.
Laura Lynn said…
A woman after my own heart!

Popular posts from this blog

A Leave of Absence

Review Extravaganza 2012 April, May and June!

Dancing with the Stars---Dead