When the Scale Doesn't Tell the Tale

     I gained 1.6 pounds this week. I am not worried. It happens. The truth is, our bodies have a natural  algorithm which it follows and if you track your weight whether you are losing weight or not you will see a pattern in your weight. Mine is always the same. I lose a little, a little, a little, then I do some big ones and then a gain. Sometimes it's because I ate too many cookies, sometimes it's because I am retaining water...it happens. Then there is exercise. Yes, exercise can actually show a gain. No, muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle both weigh the same. Muscle just takes up less space than fat. Also, when you are exercising your muscles create tears and those tears produce glycogen that will repair any damages. You know when you feel sore after a strenuous workout? That is your body repairing itself, and don't be surprised by a gain at the scale. Once your muscles feel better the scale will go back down. Never give up hope. 

     Sometimes we have "Non scale victories." These can be anything from saying no to a food you no longer find "worthy" or clothes that suddenly fit differently.  I had such a victory. It was a shirt. A shirt I have to preface is labeled as 2XL. I am not sure in what universe this shirt really is a 2XL but that is what it says! Now I know I am bigger person, I also know that I am busty girl. Shirts are an issue. This shirt was a major want though. I have a major mild obsession  passion for a certain Marvel character. Maybe it's the actor. Maybe it's the portrayal he offers. Whatever it is, I have a soft spot for Loki. So I really got excited about the t-shirt that looked like his armour. Even more when I wore it to Disneyland two years ago and stirred up trouble ala Loki style when I met "Thor" and "Captain America." Any Marvel fan worth their salt knows that Loki caused all kinds of trouble in the first Avengers movie when he wreaked havoc on New York. Thor even asked if I had ever been there. Captain America interrogated me. Oh and my phone case at the time had Loki on it.  This chick had a great time. Now, let's get back to that shirt...it was snug...real snug. But I didn't care. I wore it anyway knowing pictures would be taken. Let's be honest, when we are self-conscious about our weight the last thing we want to do is have our pictures taken, but I know about camera angles and I know how to stand and pose so that it looks deceiving. 





If you look at that first one, I am actually just standing there, not posing and it gives a pretty harsh truth. Cameras do not lie unless you make them. The second photo, I turned, sucked it in; to the best of my abilities and stuck my chin out and it made me look about 10 pounds lighter. Standing up straight makes a difference. The last one, is a straight shot, no sucking in and my chin is not held up any higher than normal. That shirt fits a lot better after 30 pounds. Am I upset that I gained 1.6 pounds this week? Nah. I know I am still working toward the big finish. Besides, I have designs on going back to Disney and causing more mischief! 


Comments

Shell said…
You look fantastic!

I have a Ravenclaw shirt that I love that's a 2XL. I'm pretty sure the small is designed for 5 year olds.

I haven't been weighing myself yet. I was worried that my starting number would be too disheartening. But I've worked out more this month than I did in all of 2015 combined, so I'm making progress!

Popular posts from this blog

A Leave of Absence

Review Extravaganza 2012 April, May and June!

Dancing with the Stars---Dead