Distraction

SQUIRREL!

Our lives are filled with distraction.  Kids.  TV.  Computers.  Phones.  There is rarely a moment that is actually quiet. We are always multi-tasking; trying to walk and chew gum at the same time.  I am guilty of multi-tasking.  So much so that my children believe they can all talk to me at once and pull me in three different directions.   Is it any wonder that most days I am reduced to thinking like "Dug" from Up?  I have taken silly personality quizzes to be told I am:  Dory--you know the short term memory fish and Rose Nylund.  I must admit, their character types do fit me.  However, I would much rather be sharp tongued like Sophia.  Do you see what just happened there?  I totally derailed.  What was I getting at?  Oh yeah... distraction.

Distraction is a part of every day life.  The trick is how to find that peace.  It means turning off the TV.  It means, at the very least, silencing the phones, and dare I say it....turning off the computers.  But only for a short time.  I mean let's be realistic here.  Once the sounds are off, it is amazing how much our minds open up and clear. We are able to think.  What about the kids?  Yeah, I have looked for and tried to create a mute button.  Alas, it is not possible.  So, the next best thing, send them outside.  It's good for them and it's good for you.  Remember we played outside for hours.  Wasn't that awesome?  Our parents didn't play with us for all those hours, we played with our friends or our sibs.  I did it again.  I derailed.  I guess I am too distracted by the fact, that I have to grocery shop and I am  borrowed time since my son will be getting out of school in just two hours.

How do you stay focused?  What's distracting you?

Comments

Emmy said…
I find the best thing to help me stay focused is the dryer just buzzed to as you said turn off now where did I put that some of the extra noise.

And now if you can read that good luck :)

I can stay really focused if I am reading a good book I really like.

No wonder why more kids "have" ADHD now days- life is full of distractions and noise
Liz Mays said…
I am distracted at least once per 5 minute period. I'm all over the place! Multi-tasking is not ever going to be in my repertoire. :(
Anonymous said…
Haha! Funny post! I am a super easily distractable person as well. And I do multi-task, but I'm not very good at it. When I do, it's obvious which task got more attention. :o) A couple weeks ago, our power was out for an entire day. I honestly didn't know what to do with myself! No computer...no phone (I hadn't charged it so the battery died), and no TV. Yikes. Well, yikes at first. I ended up getting so much done! I haven't quite figured out how to channel that yet when the power IS on...then I'm back to my distractions... :o(
Cheeseboy said…
We send our kids outside to play but I swear they go INTO the other kids houses and just play there. Anyway, at least they're out of our house.
Jenny said…
Everything. Nothing. I think I am unable to focus less every year as I get older!
Amy said…
I love blogging, and the community but this blog free week, though ultimately stressful, it was a relief to not blog.
I think there is something to unplugging for just a moment to refocus.

Popular posts from this blog

A Leave of Absence

Review Extravaganza 2012 April, May and June!

Dancing with the Stars---Dead