Is It Too Much to Ask....


Have you ever been in line at Target, Wally or your grocery store of choice and you find yourself in THAT line?  You know the one.  The one with the checker who just came out of training 5 minutes ago.  Or the one with the gal and her WIC coupons.  I know how long those things take.  I used to BE that gal.  How about the coupons!  Girls who coupon...you rock my world...you really do.  But I am talking about the ones who have the stack of coupons and they are trying to find the two they can use... only to discover one has expired and the other is for a different product than the one they chose.  Yes, we have all been there.  And that checker, bless her/his heart smiles and goes through the task at hand.  Then there are those customers who are beyond rude.  They are just down right nasty.

Last week, I witnessed such a customer.  He was in the checkers face because his cheese was ringing up more than the price on the shelf said it was.  He simply wouldn't let it go.  She was a pro though.  She kept her cool and her smile.  She asked him if he wanted her to have someone check the price.  "Well yes!" he snarled at her.  I wanted to smack him.  If I give you the difference will you please leave?  It turned out he had picked the wrong cheese.  It was not on sale.  So...the customer is NOT always right.

Why do some people think it is okay to treat another human being like that?  Is it to get their jollies?  Is it because they know "the customer is always right?"  I just don't understand that behavior.  I have been on that side of the counter, more than I care to admit.  And people can be really crappy to you.  Why?  Because you make minimum wage?  What is it?  

Comments

Liz Mays said…
I don't understand why some people have that poor attitude either. They must have miserable lives!
Christina Lee said…
ughhh! I think it's either a sense of entitlement or they have a bad attitide with everything in their lives--GEEZ!
mormonhermitmom said…
Maybe it's because in this world of scanning computers, everyone expects everything to be perfectly fast and quickly perfect. Something no human being is.
Linda Medrano said…
I have a friend who is very rude to waiters and waitresses. He is trying to be funny and doesn't understand that wasting their time and acting stupid with them is not amusing, but rude. Ugh! I hate to go out with him because of this. And he's so oblivious when I try and tell him to knock it off.
Emmy said…
There was a coupon searcher one time in front of me and I tried to tell her as a couponer I knew there was not currently a coupon for that item, it was a different brand, but she insisted on looking and after four minutes she found out I was right. I so would not want to be a cashier.
Shelley said…
Man, I always want to smack rude customers like that!!
Anonymous said…
Truly I think for some people this is the only power they have in their lives. Maybe the guy is brow beaten daily by his boss and goes home to a wife who screams at him non stop. He needs to feel power so he yells about his stupid cheese. It's not right. I used to see it all the time when I lived in NY. Not so much here in PA though. Are the PA people more civilized? Perhaps.
Amy said…
I hear you there. I am currently the girl with the huge order and the WIC coupons. I dread the impatient sighs, the foot taps and the nasty looks people sometimes give me. But those checkers, bless their hearts. They are so wonderful.

As for the reasoning behind people being rude, all I can say is they just have had a bad day. Or been horribly neglected and denied love while they were growing up. That is all that can be said for them.

And that is my two cents worth. :)
CB said…
Some people are under the false assumption that they are always right and further more they are superior. I have always found these people to be lacking as a person.
You can always tell what kind of a person someone is by the way they treat the waiter - so to speak. It really does show who they are inside when they speak to someone who they feel is "lesser" than them even though that could be the furthest thing from the truth!
I would love to just kick people like that in the shin - Seriousl!!
Sandra said…
I have no idea why some people feel they have the right to treat others like that. It really does boggle the mind...unfortunately, it's one of those things where you just never know what buddy was living that particular day. I'm not condoning that behaviour, but I'm pretty sure I've been guilty of it.
Terrific points Lourie! I just sent you a friend request on FB!

Popular posts from this blog

A Leave of Absence

Review Extravaganza 2012 April, May and June!

Dancing with the Stars---Dead