What is Me Time?



Most people have heard of the term, "me time" it can even be found in the Oxford dictionary. "Time spent relaxing on one’s own as opposed to working or doing things for others, seen as an opportunity to reduce stress or restore energy: schedule some me time when you get home"

By definition everyone should be scheduling "me time" into their daily lives. It seems impossible when the lists are already never ending, the workload is piled up and typically as mothers we are one or ten steps behind.




The first the step toward making "me time" is to look at it in a whole new light. When I first started thinking about this "me time" topic I wanted a picture to summarize it perfectly. I was not disappointed by our dear friend, Google.


Can you see that? You are right in the word TIME. Now that we know we are in the word time itself lets work on that "me time." It has been said that all we need is 5-10 minutes a day of that quality me time in order to recharge. In school kids get recess because they need to blow off that steam. They get recess along with their lunch for the same reason. Can you imagine if they were not given these times of recharging? Why then, as adults do we think it is no longer necessary to have "me time?" Just because we are "adults" does not mean we should ever stop "playing." 

I searched around for articles relating to the topic of "me time" and why it is crucial for everyone, not just mothers to schedule in that me time and believe it or not the one that stood out to me was webmd*. We do not have cancer from not scheduling our me time! We do however, gain many benefits for our health by having this me time, and we only need five to ten minutes a day.  Suggestions are given in the article from listening to music (with your earbuds in) and putting it on shuffle, to sitting on the porch and looking at the clouds. Remember looking at the clouds when you were a kid on a lazy summer day? Why shouldn't we all take five minutes to look at the clouds now? This is just about taking 5-10 small minutes no matter who you are or what is going on in your life. It's your recess. Since this is recess it stands to reason that we should use it for something that is enjoyable and not for working. In other words do not take those 5 minutes to pay a bill or refill a prescription. This is about you taking a moment that is all about you. After all you are in the word time itself. 

How will you schedule me time for yourself?

*webmd article found here.







Comments

Shell said…
I've gotten better at this. Not amazing because there's always something to do for someone around here. But I'm much less stressed when I do find that time! I went to lunch with a friend today, which was a nice recharge, even though it was just a quick Chick-fil-a lunch.
Emmy said…
You are right, it really is so important to do this. I have found I am pretty good at having some me time, some days I just need to be better about cutting off the me time and getting to things that matter most, it really is just a balancing act.
Nicole said…
Can I call reading blogs Me time?

Popular posts from this blog

A Leave of Absence

Review Extravaganza 2012 April, May and June!

Dancing with the Stars---Dead