Nothing to Fear

There is nothing to fear, but fear itself.  Quick who said that?  I don't usually have pop quizes in my blog, but if you said Franklin D. Roosevelt you were paying attention in class that day.  That's a great saying really.  But the truth is, we all have fears. 

I am afraid of elevators.  I have bad knees.  And even on their hurtiest days, I will opt to take the stairs instead of getting into the box of doom.  I am afraid of closed spaces.  My kids--all of them--sleep with their heads under their blankets.  Oh how can they do that!?  I couldn't breathe.  I need AIR!   I am afraid heights.  I am not deathly afraid of them, but you also won't see me walking out on the glass floor at the Grand Canyon either!  I am afraid of flying.  Ironically, I love to look at the ground below.  Go figure.  I am afraid of being sick.  Like puke sick.  Like I would rather be set on fire than be sick.  No really.  I will fight it with every fiber of my being.  I think most people in the world would rather not be sick.  But for some reason I truly have a nearly irrational fear of it.  A true phobia.

Today, the kids were outside while I was cooking dinner.  I was browning the ground beef when Kristin came tearing in telling me that Emily had a bee on her shirt and that she was "freaking out."  I headed outside fully expecting to find her in total hysterics and no bee in sight because the thing would have been scared honeyless.  What I found was Emily frozen in the middle of the driveway.  There was indeed a bee on her shirt.  Right on her shoulder and nestled under some hair.  it was a happy bee.  He found a place to rest.  Emily told me to smash it.  haha.  I told her I was just going to brush it off her shirt.  I used my slipper and the bee buzzed off.  Emily was shaking.  Her legs were literally trembling beneath her.  Rich and I told her go inside and relax.  She did.  She cried.  I told her the bee thought she was a flower because she smelled so nice.  She laughed.  We talked about bees and how they really don't see well, and since she didn't move the bee felt safe.  She felt better, but chose to stay inside.  I told her that was fine.

We all have things we are afraid of, and we all have true phobias.  What are your fears and phobias?  And how have you tried to rise above them?

***********************************************************
Pictures of the Day

 
A new fad, or just needing new jeans?

Comments

See Mom Smile said…
Cute, cute, cute. Love your blog.

I am afraid of not having any chocolate in the house and my kids finding out that they are smarter than me.
Laura said…
I don't understand people who sleep with their heads under the sheets either, if I do it for 30 seconds I feel like I am suffocating! I have so many fears I have no idea where to even start...seriously I need some counseling. :)
Joy@TPMG said…
I have a fear of snakes-ick..and a few others. Your daughter was very brave. I would have not have been able to stand still and would have ended up getting stung.
KK said…
You and me both! I'll walk 6 flights of stairs in horrible pain to avoid those death traps, er elevators!
Christina Lee said…
I say right in line with fashion!
My son does the head under pillow and blankets thing and it freaks me out! I have to "fix" him b/f I can go to sleep.
Emmy said…
Eric is really afraid of bees too. You know.. I am honestly not sure what my phobia is.. I guess I really don't like birds in enclosed places.. but yet I went into the enclosed bird feeding place at the zoo... so hmm.. I will have to think about that.

And I have so many pairs of jeans that have holes just like that
Rachel Sue said…
Looks like most of the pants at our house. . .

Spiders. I can't handle spiders.
Holly Lefevre said…
Phobia...if I think about it too much, I might scare myself...I hate flying.

As for the jeans...go with fad...it's cheaper!

Popular posts from this blog

A Leave of Absence

Review Extravaganza 2012 April, May and June!

Dancing with the Stars---Dead