When my mom first moved to this area in October of 1994 it was a very different and small town. There were 3 street lights. The new McDonald's was like super big news. It has grown from about 30 thousand to over one hundred thousand. There is a beautiful greenbelt that winds throughout our neighborhood and we both are backed up to it at different places.
My mom's first winter here, was an unusually wet one. Her back yard was literally a pond. There is a picture of her holding a ruler to show the depth of the water. The water reached up to her patio door. But what does that have to do with frogs? Well, I am so glad you asked! See this was before all those great calling plans came about, and cell phones were a precious thing. I lived in Northern Ca, and we would send audio letters to each other. One time, she included the sound of the frogs that had taken up residence in her backyard. It was unbelievable. There must have been thousands of them. It was like you were in the middle of frog central. It was insane!
That Christmas, I sent my mom a frog. Not a real one! Gees! That's just weird. No this was a little plush frog. Or a key chain. I honestly don't remember now. But it was received with laughter, and it started a long running joke of giving my mother a frog of some sort for all gift giving occasions. Every where in her house you will find a frog. Some are stuffed, some are pewter, some are glass. She even has salt and pepper shaker frogs. It's a long running joke that has turned into a tradition. And it all started from a symphony of frogs.
What funny things do you collect?
Do you remember my Halloween truths and lies? Let me refresh your memory...
1. I was Madonna for Halloween....in deed I was. I know. Your image of me is totally blown now. I was 21, super skinny, and super nuts! Looking back, I think, "What possessed me!?"
2. I was a PlayBoy Bunny....indeed I was! At age ELEVEN no less. You have to understand that this was when PlayBoy was in its peak. Every little girl was dressed up like a bunny. But mine was the best costume. My mom--yeah what was she thinking? She will tell you she doesn't know...because she really doesn't. Anyway, she made the ears with coat hangers and satin material. They looked like the real deal. I had the cuffs, the collar, and my poofy tail was made with yarn. I just wore a pink bathing suit. Heels! Holy cow! Nuts.
3. I was Marilyn Monroe. Nope. But one day...I will be. She is what Madonna tries so desperately to be and will never achieve!
So now....are you ready???
1. I'm totally geeking out about Harry Potter coming November 19th!
2. I am going to see it in IMAX
3. In costume
Now link up and play along. You can also play the alphabet game with Miss Jenny! She is lots of fun! I promise she won't bite.