You Call That Music!?

Once upon a time, our parents started experimenting with a new kind of music called "rock and roll."  While it's argued who started it all, you can go here and read up if you desire.  But for arguments sake, let's just say it was the work of this man...
*Swoon*
He opened the door to rock and roll.  The, then adults, professed it to be satan's music.  They fought against it.  And they simply couldn't stand this stuff those kids called "music."  Were they just too old?  Did they forget the "wild" stuff they listened too?  

Then about 10 years later, we were invaded....

*Eeeeeeek!*
Talk about wild and uncultured!  These guys were long-haired weirdo's who were bringing in crazy ideas like peace and love.  And have you HEARD their "music?"

Then in about another 10-15 years we had to endure an ugly phase of music.  For real.  Let's face it, the 70's and disco just weren't pretty.

*GAH!  My eyes!*
Once music came out of its awkward phase it brought in a new wave of music that once again brought out the cries of "devil's music." and "You call THAT music!?"

 *My brother had a friend who looked just like him... -swoon-...*

So Thursday night I was at the mall--my least favorite place to be, and just when did that happen!?  I think it happened when it SUDDENLY became overrun by obnoxious teenagers who think they are all that and more.  I digress.  I took my girls into "Justice For Girls" so that they could blow their big wad of money.  As it turns out, the store was having a store wide sale of 40 % off everything.  Bonus.  Now, I like to think I am a pretty cool mom--I am actually...how many mom's would promote leaf pile jumping in the house...

Or how about hosting the first ever "Stair sledding Olympics!"

See, I am so cool!  And so cool, that I actually participated in the sport.  Oh yes, I did!  And I have the bruised butt to prove it!  But what I want to know is, is when did I get old?  When did music suddenly stop being music???  During our prison term time in the store I could barely stand to listen to the "music."  I wanted out.  And I wondered when did this happen?  I still enjoy music.  I enjoy it very much... as long as it is the kind I like.  I know enough to know that 20 or so years from now, my daughters will have a similar experience.  It's just the right of passage.  What music did you listen to?  What music leaves you wanting to run away screaming?  

*sources:  google images, wikipedia.
**disclaimer to my dear daughters:  Not all teenagers/kids are obnoxious, there are those who are decent and good.**

Comments

sarah said…
I can handle just about anything... If I have my choice its country/reggae/classic rock
I absolutely with out a doubt cannot stand death rock....makes me feel like I'm about ready to have a panic attack!
Tracie said…
I can stand anything but country. But then again, I don't listen to the radio anymore so I may have the same reaction to popular music.
Emmy said…
Totally agree. I just feel old whenever I even see big groups of teenagers as I find myself thinking they are obnoxious.
mormonhermitmom said…
It has to be mostly "last century" for me to call it music. These days, meh. I'm with you honey.
The Blonde Duck said…
Popped in to say hi! I'm 25, and I don't like even some of the music now days!
Christina Lee said…
ughh my hubby and I have this conversational all the time! and then yeah, I feel old just saying it out loud!
bingham 5 said…
I know what you mean! The crap my 12 year old listens to, ugh! I had my big hair band music from the 80's on one day and my daughter asked if the song was an oldie?!
Shelley said…
You are a cool mom!! That's great you let your kids have some fun in the house!
Christine said…
So true! We're getting old. I like some of the current music, but I didn't even like the harder stuff when I was a teenager and it just seems to be getting worse and worse.

And yes, you're definitely cool!!
Linda Medrano said…
I love music, and just about all kinds. I play it all the time at home. I love R&B, Rap, Hip Hop, Rock, Country, Opera, Classical, Pop, etc. But when I take my grandkids shopping places like Abercrombie the volume of this techno music is enough to cut the shopping trip very short. I just can't take it! It makes me feel like I'm getting a root canal!
Holly Lefevre said…
Every time I say something like that about music or clothes, etc. I finally get it...I get my parents and my grandparents. I understand why they said those things!

Popular posts from this blog

A Leave of Absence

Review Extravaganza 2012 April, May and June!

Dancing with the Stars---Dead