Inhale the Future, Exhale the Past


 photo 644980E4-FFDF-4908-8698-AF250E0A1A12_zpst1n89y8c.jpeg


I'm dusting off my blog! It really needs a makeover. That will come in time. For now, I will just stick with writing and trying to remember how things work around here. I miss blogging and I think I need to get back to it.

I will start with a quick recap: A few years ago, I made the decision to go back to school. It was a scary decision to make, but I did it. I was able to obtain my degree online. I had moments when I just wanted to throw the towel in--particularly when I was in math classes--but I soldiered through. I earned my Bachelor's degree in English. I am proud of that accomplishment. During my time in school, I took a break from blogging as it was too much to keep up with both. Education first! 

During my time away we had a total of three graduations counting my own. While I chose not to walk, I still have the honor of holding the degree.

 photo 2165C296-F7DD-422B-83CE-96D2C2DCF5FE_zpsi7uhkkgu.jpeg
Kristin graduated in 2015

 photo 9183C356-EF12-4280-B477-88F2ED5E0532_zpsscchyg9y.jpeg
Emily graduated this past June

 photo 04990ACA-71C2-4B0D-A386-8D2463510379_zpspafkmfoq.jpeg
I completed school May of 2017

On November 17, 2017 our lives changed forever when Rich had a stroke. Thankfully we were at the hospital when it happened. I am not sure what I would have done if we would have been at home. Some might say it was a terrible thing that happened, but for us this thing was a blessing. Rich was given a new chance at life, one that he had previously been missing. He was extremely lucky in that the stroke mostly affected only his balance and his dexterity which has been moderately corrected through therapy. He is happier now, and works hard everyday to be more stable on his own.


 photo 719E2FD4-36D6-4197-9326-1A91AF7C408F_zpsejyo5tgy.jpeg


Just when you think life is going forward you are hit with a roadblock, and by roadblock I mean severe tire damage. You seriously were not paying attention. Honestly neither were the doctors. See, Rich is diabetic and his kidneys were already in trouble back in November. By early June, they were failing. He ended up hospitalized just before Emily's graduation. Don't worry, he made it! He even went to Universal Studios! He was put on emergent dialysis where they removed 11 pounds of fluid. I have since heard of patients having upwards of 40 pounds of fluid removed! How were they functioning!? After a few rounds of hemo dialysis (through the blood) Rich was looking better and had ankles again. We began training for in home peritoneal dialysis. This is done through the abdominal cavity and much easier on the body. I do the hook up and disconnect each night/morning. When we first started training, I had panic attacks and sweated through my clothes during the training sessions. There was no way on earth I was ever going to be able to do this without killing him. Our nurse assured me I would be able to do it without thinking. He was right. I  now know the procedure without thinking about it. It has become second nature.  

Our lives took a dramatic shift back in November, and then another in June. I think we will stay the course now. We have life jackets, spare tires, food and water! In other words, it is all good. 

What will I write about next? Caregiving. Peritoneal Dialysis. Something totally random. A product I like. A gripe. Who knows. Come back next week!

  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Leave of Absence

Review Extravaganza 2012 April, May and June!

Dancing with the Stars---Dead