Reality vs. Are You Serious?

Kristin Sept 25, 1997

When Kristin was born, I was surrounded by help.  And I do mean surrounded.  My mom came and stayed for almost two months.  Some might say overstay...we said please don't go!  At the time Rich was working two jobs.  I needed all the support and aid I could get.  While she was there.  Rich took his regular paternity leave plus he had leave saved up.  So he actually had a lot of time off.  His parents came in for a week.  My sister was there for a weekend and so was Rich's sister.  So when I say I was surrounded with help, I really meant it.  I could sleep if I wanted to.  I could shower if I wanted to.  It was so easy to be a Mommy.  But then, everyone left.  And Rich had to go back to work.    I was left alone.  All alone with a baby who was colicky.  She cried constantly.  And I was her soul provider, nurturer, everything.  Poor Rich felt mostly helpless and helped every chance he had.  It was rough.  Her first 6 months of life are basically a blur for me.  I was a train wreck.

Fast forward to present day...
She's such a nut!

Okay now please don't judge....the TV was just on, I was busy creating--it's a secret for now.  I will share later...like after Christmas, kthanks.  Anyway....it was The View.  And the guest was Ivanka Trump.  And their big hook was how life with baby has changed her.  Really?  How much has her life changed?  I have to know this.  So I turned up the TV so I could hear and went back to work.

Her new title:  MOM!  Her working title:  Executive Vice President of Development and Acquisition in the Trump Organization.  Whew, what a mouthful.  They asked her right away about Mommyhood.  Now her first response, I completely agree with.  She said that one would think with nine to ten months of preparation you could prepare, but nothing prepares you for parenthood.  She is absolutely right about that.  Nothing does.  Nothing.  And the more you think you got this thing covered the more you are going to fall flat on your face.  Eat crow. And all that humbling crap.  Then they asked her about "mommy guilt."  Oh how I hate that.  Mommy guilt is the worst.  And this is where she lost me.  She was playing golf with her husband and was only able to play two holes before she had to go home.  Oh cry me a river.  Am I wrong?  Am I cynical?  What is your opinion?  What is your mom guilt?

Comments

Macey said…
One reason I try to make it a rule to NEVER watch the View...yikes. Ivanka is dumb. I could only play 2 holes! Whatever.
Nicole said…
I dunno... I've never been a "mommy" like you guys :). I got mine when she was 6 and she's only with us every other weekend... although I'll agree I feel guilty some days...
Liz Mays said…
I can't believe she chose that as an example of her mommy guilt. Really? Nobody can relate to that except someone else with 4 nannies.
Christina Lee said…
Huh...guess everything is relative!
Lene said…
Poor her. All i want to do is go pee by myself.
Rebecca said…
hi i'm new here came ove through 2011 review extravaganza. as for mommy guilt never had any as my son has never really been out of my care since day one. even now at 11 he doesn't even go to sleep overs or stay with relatives. so i guess my mommy guilt would be i never took mommy time.
mormonhermitmom said…
Again, we must be related. I had my first the same year. Both sets of grandparents were 15 minutes away and they helped but they didn't hover. When she was 6 weeks old I had to go back to work and it was a one hour commute each way. That first day coming home I was bawling that I left my baby to someone else to take care of even though I was exhausted all the time.
Emmy said…
Yea, not very relatable- though two holes of golf only takes about 10 mins top. But yea hard to feel bad for her

Popular posts from this blog

A Leave of Absence

Review Extravaganza 2012 April, May and June!

Dancing with the Stars---Dead