Why I Like My New Phone Case...It's Not What You Think.


     As a fan of the television show SUPERNATURAL it made sense that my husband would get me a phone case with its stars adorned on it. However, it goes much deeper than being a fan of the show. It's about what the case (and shirts) represent. "Always keep fighting" is the campaign driven by SPN star Jared Padalecki, and now his co-star Jensen Ackles.The campaign focuses on the fight for mental illnesses, depression and for those contemplating suicide. This is something near and dear to his(Padalecki's) heart, " I, for a long time, have been passionate about people dealing with mental illness and struggling with depression, or addiction, or having suicidal thoughts and, strangely enough, it’s almost like the life I live, as well." You can find the complete interview with Padalecki here.
   It's not just about him, it's about dealing with my own depression and the things I have gone through in my life. While I have never known the lows of suicidal thoughts, I have known people in my life who have comtemplated taking their own life. I also know people with addicitons and mental illness. This is the reason I like my new phone case. It is not because of the dual portrait of the actors. It is because they are raising awareness of something that has long been brushed under the carpet because people are not comfortable talking about it. It is time to start talking about it and helping ourselves and those in need to "always keep fighting." We have barely scratched the surface when it comes to mental illness, depression, and additcitons. The more we are keenly aware of what is going on the more we can help in the fight.
     I turn my phone so the case is showing, not so people will notice Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki, but so they see the tag, "Always keep fighting."

National Suicide Hotline
1-800-273-8255 this number is available 24/7 

If you have the slightest inkling that something is wrong with someone, and that you are inclined to check on them for any reason follow through with that feeling. You do not have to over explain your intentions, just let them know you were thinking of them and wanted to say hi.It might open a door to help them. It might not. The fact is we do not know. Reach out when the feeling to do so strikes.  I like my new phone case, but it's not why you would think. 







Comments

Emmy said…
That is so awesome that it means so much more! What a wonderful and impertinent cause to support
mormonhermitmom said…
Good of you to put that out there. You never know who you might help.

Popular posts from this blog

A Leave of Absence

Review Extravaganza 2012 April, May and June!

Dancing with the Stars---Dead