Age is a Number, Nothing More

I have been looking for work for eight months now. In eight months time, I have been graced with two interviews. One interview, I completely tanked.


I was fine with them telling me no, because I knew I tanked the interview. I was out of practice. I actually looked good on paper and was a good fit for them. It was a marketing company; a small one and since I majored in English with a minor in marketing it looked nice. I stumbled and fell flat on my face. Well when that happens we brush ourselves off and get back up, right? I even had coaching through my church, at no cost to me. This was an immense help. I applied for months before I got another interview. Then, when I finally got one, I was given a refresher course in how to interview so I would be sure to sell it. I did great! (In my mind.) I did a phone interview first, and then an in person interview the next day. I felt it went well. Sadly, I never heard back. I have applied many other places. I honestly have lost count, and forgotten the amount of places I have applied to. If they are hiring, I applied to it.

The problem I am running into are two things: The gap in my work. I chose to stay home and have babies; not only that...I chose to stay home and raise them!

I know it's crazy, but there are women out there who do this.I am in no way knocking my beautiful sisters who go to work. I do not know their circumstances and I do not know who they are. I love my sisters no matter who they are, and support their choices because that is what it is: their choice.  But due to unforeseen circumstances in my life, I now have to become the bread winner in the house. It is not just my gap in working that is causing a hindrance, honestly I think employers welcome women who want to come back to the workforce, but there is a caveat. You must be a certain age; otherwise they feel -- without actually saying it that you have piqued and gone past your prime.


That's right, according to anybody hiring, I have one foot in the grave. Hell, I might be standing in it! I am ancient. Some applications ask if the person is over 18, now I see this as a necessary question. Children under 18 require a work permit and may only work limited hours. The employer needs to know legally if they are hiring a minor. The question that typically follows is this: are you under 40? Does this mean if I am over 40 (which yes I am) that I am too old to do a job? Please, then I invite you to come to my house and see what I do on a daily basis and see if you can keep up. Do not put a label on me because of a number.


You would not dare do that to this woman! And heaven help you if you ever said a word to this one...


Sadly though, ageism is something that continues to happen and gets swept under the carpet. Employers want people who are 25-36 with 3-5 years experience. I am not sure how someone without any experience is supposed to gain it, and I know for certain someone older; possibly changing careers will have an even harder go at it.


Do you believe ageism is a real thing? Is it easier to get that first ever job than to find work if you are "over 40?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Leave of Absence

Review Extravaganza 2012 April, May and June!

Dancing with the Stars---Dead